On Balance - Economic Update 1
Updated: Jul 17
The purpose of On Balance:
To present a balanced perspective on the economic state of affairs in South Africa.
Dr Roelof Botha discusses two questions:
Where did many of SA’s economic problems emanate from?
Can we do something about this and is there opportunities for us?
• Damage inflicted on the South African economy during the “Zupta” years
• 2017 paradigm shift in the Government’s economic policy
• Private sector role in job creation
• Leading business cycle indicator post COVID
• The recovery of the construction industry
• Sector recovery to pre-covid levels
• De-regulation and elimination of red tape.
Real Per Capita Income 1994-2021 (Income per person in current Rand terms)
How SA compares to other Emerging Markets in terms of Development Drivers